taking the passive out of passive-aggressive

Thursday, August 04, 2005

The children were restless this morning. The Bee spent most of her time trying to get into the fridge, hunting for Danimals and juicy boxes, while the Panda moaned miserably on the couch ("I'm too TIRED for camp!") I finally had to throw them both into the tub to quell the whining. The Bee figured out she could tickle her sister by squeezing her knee, but didn't know when to stop.

And I discovered I have ants on my kitchen floor, most likely due to the food that Bee stashes all around the house for later snackin'(I've seen her do it--open a cabinet door, pull out a Goldfish, and look at it with recognition and delight before popping it into her mouth. The look says "Aha! I remember putting that there last week, how BRILLIANT!")

This single-momhood thing is something else. While on the one hand, my destiny (and mess) are my own, at the same time everyone needs something. For the Panda, it's usually long deep conversations; for the Bee, it's mainly keeping her from killing herself. Between the children and my clients, I'm a regular dispensary of comfort, advice, reassurance, and cleanup. I've given up on thinking life should be perfect, which is a good thing. But I've also realized, fully and for real, that children are relentless. They need to be, it's their job. And it's my job to kiss them and listen and put band-aids on and keep them from playing with lighters and climbing up the bookshelf. I think I can handle it.

3 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, Blogger Willowsss said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger The Educated Eclectic said...

Cool post - I thought I was the only person who used the word "snackin'"...

:)

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger The Educated Eclectic said...

Miss your posts...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home