taking the passive out of passive-aggressive

Thursday, May 26, 2005

My daughter is working on a school report about the state of Utah, which means I've been asked to spell "polygamist" at least five times in the last three days. Their assignment is to write about interesting facts about each state, and she's decided that polygamy is pretty damn interesting. Weirdly repulsive but interesting. Her take on it, and the last sentence of her report: "I don't know why anyone would need ten wives!"

Her last report was about Florida. I tried to get her to put some stuff in there about stolen elections and the Bush family dynasty, but she didn't think that was quite as interesting as conquistadores and orange groves. Oh well.

Today I received the loveliest email from a friend of mine, a woman I worked with & have been friends with for years. I told her about the separation and she responded in just the most wonderful, understanding way. She never once said it was so sad or she was so sad, or that it was horrible or how were the children. She just said that we were very brave for choosing to find out what life might be like without the other, and that she knew that we loved each other and were committed to the girls, and that we would make it work. It was so incredibly unselfish and encouraging, I couldn't believe it.

It's good to have friends. Actually, it might be good to have ten wives, too. But I think it's better to have friends.

1 Comments:

At 9:07 AM, Blogger The Cybrarian said...

Oh great, now I have to up my game.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home