taking the passive out of passive-aggressive

Thursday, May 26, 2005

The division of the Marital Property, with the mediator, took about an hour and a half. We didn't argue because there's not that much to argue about--the house, a few bank accounts, some furniture.

But now I've come to the Division Of The Books.

Okay, in some instances it's pretty clear. The James M. Cain, the Raymond Chandler, the Anne Tyler, Margaret Atwood, Haruki Murakami, Lawrence Block, A.S. Byatt, that's all mine. Most of the Nabakov, too, and all the feminist screeds, linguistic texts, and literary criticism.

He could make a case for Paul Auster but he won't, or Mark Helprin either. The Umberto Eco gets a little sketchy there for a minute, but I know he arrived at the marriage with "Name of the Rose." And it's clear that all the Calvino and most of the science fiction is his, although I could conceivably fight for Phillip K. Dick. But J.G. Ballard's all mine--he never did really get J.G. Ballard.

And some of the books we have duplicates, so it's no biggie--we each get an "Alice in Wonderland," a "Lost in the Funhouse," a "Great Gatsby," most of the plays of Shakespeare, and inexplicably, some Wole Soyinka.

But what am I supposed to do with, say, Neuromancer? I want Neuromancer and I can't remember who bought it. Or "Mathematics and the Imagination"--a book so inexplicably comforting that both of us will fight for it? (And it's not just the text--it has to be THAT COPY, the one that's dogeared on the google page, with the seventies fonts on the cover.)

I mean, it's one thing to divide equity and armoires and the titles to cars. It's a whole other thing to say that suddenly you can no longer live in the same house as that particular copy of Neuromancer, the one you read while eating spaghetti in the dining room of an apartment overlooking a park, listening to a restless child and the wind in the trees three stories below.

8 Comments:

At 7:20 PM, Blogger sweetney said...

[heart breaks]

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger chang said...

[sigh]

still crushed.

[/sigh]

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, "Mathematics and the Imagination" is unarguably mine. So's the Calvino and Eco. You're going to have to fight me over the Paul Auster. We might have to have joint custody over little Paul. Helprin's Soldier of the Great War is mine and Antproof Case is yours.

See everyone? This is how it's done nicely!

husbando nique

 
At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can have Neuromancer, too.

:)

me, b.l.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Claire said...

Wait a minute! That guy Wolfgang gave me "Leviathan" in 1992, and I bought the rest of the Auster books--except the one you gave me for my birthday. Auster is unquestionably mine.

And yes, I cede Mathematics and the Imagination, okay?

 
At 3:37 AM, Blogger dogfaceboy said...

I would fight for Auster. I wouldn't fight for Dick.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Claire said...

Well, it's always silly to fight for Dick, isn't it?

 
At 3:11 AM, Blogger dogfaceboy said...

Yahoo! I made Claire respond in her own comments section! I win!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home