taking the passive out of passive-aggressive

Saturday, March 26, 2005

What's the liturgical name for the day between Good Friday and Easter Sunday? I know there's got to be a name for it. Sad Saturday? I know Palm Sunday and Ash Wednesday and Maundy Thursday, but I can't recall if I ever heard a name for today.

It was gray and cold today, the day before a too-early Easter. We walked the girls up to the grocery store and splurged on steaks. "Where do you want to go to church tomorrow?" I asked my husband. "We have to go to church."

He said, "I just want to go somewhere that won't make me angry," and then named a church in the city where a friend of ours had had a memorial service this winter.

"I dunno, parking's going to be a bitch," I said. "What about the presbyterian place I used to go when I was a kid?"

"Parking won't be any better there," he replied. "See, this is the problem with going to churh on Easter. It's like going out on Saturday night. Everyone else is thinking the same thing."

"I know," I said, "but you have to do it. If there's one day a year you go to church, it has to be Easter."

There's something about Easter. For one thing, it's got the best name of any holiday. For another, eggs are involved. And finaly, JESUS DIED on Easter. Now, I can be glib and irreligious and snide about the Catholics and the Evangelicals or whatever, but the fact is, I believe in the importance of Easter. I dunno whether it was Sunday school or my weirdo Baptist relatives or what, but some little nagging part of me thinks that if I don't show up for church on Easter, of all days, God will be displeased.

And besides, Easter is the only day when it's acceptable to wear a fancy hat.

Walking back up the hill from the grocery store I noticed how the daffodil leaves are starting to sprout from the neighbors' nicely landscaped lawns. The baby smiled when a breeze blew across her face. And Amanda walked her bike up the hill beside us, us with our groceries tied to the stroller, wearing her cheerful red helmet and mary janes. I thought about the beginning of things, about fresh starts and clean spring air. About the ways that it might be possible to change, even now, on this nameless day before an Easter that arrived too soon.

8 Comments:

At 5:59 AM, Blogger XLT said...

If I recall ddep inside my recovering Catholic brain, it's called "Holy Saturday".

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger dogfaceboy said...

I know it's Holy Thursday, but Saturday too? How about Sadder Day?

I LOVE your new blog design. I'm happy to see the pink gone. You know, white is the new pink.

 
At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus RESURRECTED FROM THE DEAD on Easter Sunday, he didn't DIE on Easter as your 'blog' incorrectly states. You should go to church more than once a year, if at least to save the souls of your children.

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Claire said...

Thanks so much for encouraging my religious feelings, Anonymous. It's people like who who give Christianity a really good name.

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger chang said...

Ah, the open minded Christian right! Always putting a bright spin on things and reminding us that most of the time Christ's love is still buried behind the stone in his tomb.

You people sicken me. A child's soul is pure and needs no saving.

Neither does your, but that fucker is tarnished and dirtier than gramma's silver.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger The Cybrarian said...

Yes, you and your so-called 'blog' will be burning in H-E-double-hockey-sticks, but at least maybe you can get your children into heaven before their little souls get dirtied by your fithy, skeptical mind! Seeing all those zombie cows walking out of mass yesterday made me really happy to not be one of them. God and I have a fine relationship, Mary is my homegirl, and I certainly don't need some pedophile to tell me so.

 
At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn. i don't even believe in god and i know easter is the day of jesus' resurrection.

mmmmm.....resurrection....

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Jesus dying on Easter thing was obviously a mistake.

What kind of a jackass is that earlier Anonymous?


We all know what Claire meant. I even missed it upon reading it since I knew what she meant.

And, "earlier Anonymous": For you to speak (with complete ignorance) about the pristine and wonderful souls of those two girls is akin to a shit beetle presuming to know the nature of the soul of Jesus. You are *way* out of your league.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home