taking the passive out of passive-aggressive

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

What is with this Terry Schiavo feeding tube thing? Am I a moron who just doesn't get why this should be such a BFD? Don't these kinds of decisions get made all the time? Why did she become such a magnet for the religious kooks of the world?

More than anything, the whole situation reminds me of the (underrated) movie Citizen Ruth. Laura Dern plays a hapless huffer who gets roped into being a poster child in the abortion wars. Both the right and the left are portrayed as fools who promote their respective ideologies above all human feeling or sense of justice. I don't remember what happens in the end, but this poor comatose woman being used for political ends reminds me of nothing so much as that movie.

Only it was a comedy. And really there's nothing the least bit funny about this.

There's this cultural idiom I really just don't get--that loaded word "life." Everything is about "life." Is this really all code for abortion? Because these same people don't seem to mind when people are put to death by the criminal justice system, with or without a fair trial. They don't seem to mind when we go to war. So it's obviously not about "life" as you and I understand it--the assumption that we all have the right to walk around and breathe. No, it appears that some people ought to be allowed to walk around and breathe, and some people shouldn't.

But who gets to decide that, and on what basis? I suppose that's where I'm perplexed. What criteria are these people using to make life and death decisions? I guess a subset of them thinks that God talks directly to them, and another subset believes there's a set of rules that can be followed, and another subset lets W. and his cronies decide, and another subset listens to their preacher or whatever.

I wonder what would happen if they found out Terry Schiavo had had an abortion at some point in her life. Would she then be worthy of "life"?

8 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Blogger sweetney said...

me love "citizen ruth" long time!

sorry, i won't talk about the THING with that person of whom you speak. except: fucking republicans.

 
At 3:23 AM, Blogger dogfaceboy said...

I'm blogging this today. I wrote it three days ago, but I had other things in the queue. It's not going to be pretty.

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger chang said...

More and more, I seem incapable of coming up with thtoughts of my own and seem to be simply aping things I have heard on NPR that I agree with.

That said... Some guy on NPR was talking about how these Replublicans who are so horny to put legislation through to "save" this woman's "life" are the same ones that tunnel-fucked Medicare to death (tunnel-fucked is not strictly his words). Why don't they all pool their money and put up a fund to keep her alive and stop fucking wiggling around in this rather private affair.

I am not sure where I am at on this issue, but I do know that I do not want to be kept on life support if I cannot lead a life style to which I am acccustomed. I don't even want ot be wheelchair bound.

And I want to be cremated.

And I want Heidi Klum to .... oh, wait. That's another thing altogether.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger XLT said...

Aside from the "life" argument that seems to be trotted out by conservatives/Republicans/religious folks/right-wingers,Wal-Mart shoppers, how does this fit onto the alleged "sanctity of marriage" and the "family values" that these folks uphold?

Apparently a decision made within the bonds of matrimony ain't worth a bucket of spit if it rubs a nosey God-botherer the wrong way. I suppose it's only hypocrisy if you are a filty Heathen like myself.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger dogfaceboy said...

XLT, that's pretty much what I said in my entry, only I took a dozen paragraphs to say it. I like "nosey God-botherer."

 
At 2:25 PM, Anonymous tbtine said...

I'd like to add some additional NPR-age to what Chang said. Last night I heard a woman who is currently a doctor at one of the Baltimore area hospitals (but who is also European) mention that in The Netherlands right now they are trying to pass legislation allowing hospitals to put severely brain damaged infants to death. Not "allow them to die"--put them to death (adults are outside this legislation because adults have "had a life").

It was very difficult for me to drive after I heard this, my lower jaw pulling my eyelids down over my irises and all. I can't even imagine this being contemplated in Amerka, given the abortion issue.

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger The Cybrarian said...

And page Alanis, here's some irony, she had the brain damage because she had the anorexia and then had the heart failure, as in, she was trying to starve herself. Be careful what you wish for, eh?

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger debbie said...

all i can say is ADVANCE DIRECTIVE, people. GET ONE. especially if you are married and/or have kids, this is important. my husband has worked with several organizations that deal with end-of-life issues, as well as legislation concerning the schiavo case, so i know that this is not something to be taken lightly. this link will give you info on what's involved:

http://www.uslivingwillregistry.com/forms.shtm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home