taking the passive out of passive-aggressive

Saturday, March 19, 2005

It's SPRING! So we did what anyone in their right mind would do and headed out for a day of mudpies, bicycles, scooters, running, swinging, and gardening.

Queen Bee plopped down on her bottom in the middle of the playground today and proceeded to try and eat woodchips. I kept saying "No no, Bee, no no" until eventually she'd bring a woodchip up to her mouth and hold it there and shake her head violently back and forth. I could see her powerful internal struggle: "I want to eat the woodchip! But I mustn't eat the woodchip! But I WANT TO EAT THE WOODCHIP!"

The husband brought out the giant leaf blower, so we could get a gander at the crocuses hiding under the pile of leaves. There's something simutaneously comical and yet strangely hot about a man with a leafblower. The giant erect tube sticking out of the front, the loudness, the power-tool aspect.... I was like "Heeheeheehee lookit you!... Hey, wait a minute, get over here, you sexy thing!"

We sucked up all the leaves and now the yard looks kind of bare, but I remember now what's in the ground just waiting: the perennial pinks, irises, tulips, those white flowers I can't remember the name of, lilies, royal hostas, asters, bee balm, daffodils, phlox, stonecrop. Hundreds of trips to the garden center over the past five years, me not knowing what I was doing at first but slowly getting a feel for the yard, for the play of light and shade, for the temparature of the ground and a sense of the soil. It still comes nowhere near being a great garden, but it has its moments of extreme prettiness, and I did it all myself, which is worth something.

Soon it will be azalea time, and we will sit out on the patio drinking wine after work, and the children will run up and down the street, their voices echoing while it gets darker. I will tend my garden lazily, and keep one eye on the children, and all will be right with the world once again.

2 Comments:

At 7:18 AM, Blogger chang said...

FUCK! THis reminds me that I mowed the lawn 2 or 3 times last year. Soon as the snow is gone I have to call a lawn service to work some shock and awe on my lawn.

How did I celebrate spring? I put my parka in the closet and got out my cowboy hat.

 
At 5:31 AM, Anonymous tbtine said...

I've been reading all the gardening books I can get my hands on since January I'm so anxious for spring to "officially" get here (ie, get into the 60s and stay there for longer than five seconds).

Even though I've been container gardening for many years, planting my own stuff in the ground last spring was an experience. I still have no idea what's going to make it through the winter yet.

So I read something a few weeks ago about a woman who had never gardened before, made a plan and then went out and bought 600 plants, all in one day, to make it happen. WTF?! This is NOT gardening, this is just an egregious use of cash, no, this is a landscaping project for chrissakes.

And yes, I am jealous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home