taking the passive out of passive-aggressive

Thursday, March 03, 2005

I was driving yesterday to pick my older daughter up from school, and the baby was fussing in the back seat. Nothing seemed to make her happy--not a bottle, not a binky, not some nice soothing classical music. "Ehhh ehhh ehhh," she'd say to all the music I chose, and shake her head violently back and forth as if to say, "No! I hate that!"

And then the dial settled on 92Q and it was a Slow Jam. And she quieted right down and stared out the window.

Now, anyone who knows me knows that if there's one kind of music I cannot stand, it is the Slow Jam. I find Slow Jams slightly less pleasant than, say, whining. The endless drawn-out vowels--"Baaaaa-ay-ay-ay-aaaaa-ay-ay-ay-ahhhhhh-beeeeee"--the lack of coherent melody, the trite lyrics ("Baby I loooo-o-o-o-o-o-ve yoo-hoo-hoo")... I just can't stand it. I'm sure this makes me very white or whatever, but let's just get that out of the way--yes, I am very white. And I hate the slow jams.

But the Queen Bee LOVES the slow jams. Nothing else will calm her, it seems. And so I drove for twenty whole minutes listening to the Slow Jams, looking at her in the rear view mirror and watching her bliss out. And realized, slowly but surely, that I have a whole 18 years of Slow Jams ahead of me.

And yet somehow I don't mind, because it makes her happy.

If this isn't true parental love, I don't know what is.

4 Comments:

At 7:20 AM, Blogger XLT said...

Ah, yes. Round our way it's called "woo-woo" music. Not for the euphemism for f*cking, but for all fake-ass Aguileraesque "Soul Singing". Besides, could you really handle another go-around with Raffi?

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger chang said...

Maybe she's trying to say that your music sucks.

Sorry. I play all kinds fo stuff for SOphia. Johnny Cash, Dub Reggae, Autechre, Led Zeppelin.

But she does have a fondness for Usher. THis I find disconcerting.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger dogfaceboy said...

A good mother would force her kid to develop the proper musical taste. Let her scream until she likes Ani Difranco; that's what I always say.

Fortunately for me, Serena does like Ani--and Willy and Bob Schneider and Counting Crows and Green Day and just about whatever I want her to like.

You should hear this seven-year-old singing Billy Bragg in an English accent. "Sex-shu-awl-i-tee/your laws do not apply to me."

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger dogfaceboy said...

P.S. Thanks for the link. You have honors at mine now that I've stolen your code. :) (I'm html-deficient.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home