taking the passive out of passive-aggressive

Saturday, March 12, 2005

I hate to admit it, but I think my disgust with the right wing is more aesthetic than political. There's just something so unappealing about country music, NASCAR, the architecture of megachurches, suburban strip malls, pee-wee football, golf, and giant TVs.

This is why all the soul-searching among progressives will come to naught. You read these blogs, they're all like, "We have to be more populist, more inclusive! We have to talk about God more and reclaim ownership of family values!" or whatever.

But that means being more like THEM, and they're.... well... tacky.

OK, I said it. The right wing is tacky. Their clothes aren't as cool, their movies are lame, they eat at Applebees. They give their children literlly cheesy fake family names like Colby. I don't quite understand the connection--why so many on the right are so unhip--but it's overwhelmingly true. And as much as I hate their war-mongering, misogynistic, demonically selfish policies, I also hate their taste.

This is the true front line of the culture wars. It's not Janet Jackson's nipple or religion. It's really about brand identity. We're Target, they're Wal-Mart. We're Lemony Snicket, they're Disney.

Yes, I know I'm being a horrible snob. Bring it on, I can handle it.

3 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right. It's true. Inclusivity blah blah blah, but I feel distain for all those things. Or at least a firm sense of 'ick.'

In my/our defense, though, I feel no need to convert the Walmart-shopping, Applebee-eating people to my Wild Oats-shopping ways. I just want them to stop trying to destroy workers' rights, the environment, and other things I hold dear.

 
At 4:56 AM, Blogger dogfaceboy said...

To the defense of the republicans (and I don't know why I should bother), I have to say no way. I know far more Wal-mart dems (the po' folks) than reps. My parents, the "others," not only have incredible taste, but my dad is too much of a snob to even buy sweat pants at Target. His Lexus-driving butt wouldn't feel right unless his sweatpants (which he wouldn't wear EVER but had just come from surgery and HAD to wear them—doctor's orders) came from Nordstrom. (Normally, he doesn't buy anything that doesn't come from J.S. Edwards.) I don't think my folks are the atypical republicans, either.

I wish I could blame it on class or stupidity or some other inferiority, but I know a lot of republicans who just don't fit that mold (and most of those I know are well-to-do).

Could I even say that it came down to poor judgment? I don't know. Having $10,000 in credit card debt is poor judgment, too, so I'm not winning any awards there.

Makes you think, though.

Man, Applebee's has lousy food. Blech. (My parents were at Ruth's Chris last night, anyway.)

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger debbie said...

well, you're talking about that middle america, god-fearing, gun-toting right winger, yes? the repubs i see in my 'hood are more the variety dogfaceboy describes. i've even met some that i'd never have known they were the *enemy*, they seemed so hip and normal. it's scary, really. but DC's one thing, nebraska's another.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home