taking the passive out of passive-aggressive

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Warning: this is going to be sappy. The cynical among you should skip this post.

My husband took me on an actual DATE last night! He planned the whole thing--got the childcare together, made the reservations, took the kids to my sisters' houses, everything. And it was amazing and much needed.

I'd been dying to go eat at this place, the Valley Inn. It's this weird little restaurant out in the middle of pretty much nowhere, and it's been there for a million years, and the only people who go there seem to be about 100 years old. It's the kind of place where the first item on the menu is Crab Imperial. I don't think they've renovated the place since Prohibition, and the waitresses wear white and black uniforms with aprons. When I was a kid, my parents used to take me there once in a while, and it was the exact same--down to the cherrystone clam appetizers and the hunt prints in the bar. (We sat across from the hunting print entitled "THE DEATH".)

It was so great. We had cocktails and sat in the smoking section with a bunch of octagenarians who were getting their drink on. We ate veal nd crab and I got an iceberg wedge. An iceberg wedge! We talked about absolutely everything and I just felt glad. To be there, to be there with him. And after our entrees, he came over to my side of the table and, just like the night he asked me to marry him, got down on his knee, took my rings off, and said, "Will you marry me again?" And I said "Of course!" (A different answer than when he asked me the first time. That time I said, "Okay.")

Well, the group of older people at the next table over must have been watching because they burst into applause. I had tears in my eyes! And Nick said, "Oh, but I have to tell you. I just sked her to be married again, because we've been married ten years now, and we have two girls, and I want to be with her forever." And that seemed to send them into even more of a tizzy of "Ooooohhhh! That is SO romantic!" We chatted with them--one couple had been married 48 years!--and they bought us dessert. It was truly an amazing moment.

And then this morning, we got up early and went for a drive around the city. It was bright and sunny and beautiful. We went and had brunch, and came home and read for a while before the kids got home. And fir the first time in months I feel hopeful and happy and like everything is going to be okay. Everything is going to be wonderful again.

3 Comments:

At 3:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Claire. What a great evening and truely very romantic. Hope you get to do a lot more of the same.

Frank

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger XLT said...

You know what? FUCK cynicism.

That's a beautiful story. Congratulations on your renewed engagement.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger chang said...

Oh my god. That is aboslutely beautiful. I have to say I was reading it while, ahem, eliminating and I think I will read it again to do it proper justice.

God damn. I think I need to do that with the wife. The whole date and then the whole re-popping the question. However, she may punch me in the face. Unlike the first time.

I, however, am a jackass and may be entirely wrong.

Really enjoying the blog, Claire. You write beautifully and make me laugh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home