taking the passive out of passive-aggressive

Sunday, January 09, 2005

Back in 1997, I worked at this little web shop run by an avant-garde improvisational saxophonist. We all sat in his living room pretending like we knew what we were doing, making these new-fangled web site things. Every once in a while, in would wander the famous poet and mail artist Blaster Al Ackerman, who used to bring in a single 3.5" disk, with a single document on it, which he would continually overwrite with a new document, week after week. Anyway, every time he came in, he'd say the same thing: "A thousand monkeys with a thousand typewriters." And then commence writing, leaving us to our dubious business.

At the time, I figured he was merely making fun of us (which of course, he was). But now it seems almost like a Zen koan. A thousand monkeys with a thousand typewriters is exactly what the entire world seems like to me these days. My husband came home with a new flat-screen monitor the other day, and the technology of the thing actually floored me--how on earth did we humans create that? "Go out into the yard," my husband said, "and look around. That's what we have to work with. That's what we've made all of this out of." And he's right. And the only explanation, really, is a thousand monkeys, with a thousand typewriters, and thousands and thousands of years.

1 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Blogger The Cybrarian said...

Speaking of monkeys, I have just now gotten my blog up and running! Except that it doesn't seem to be publishing my template changes. Oh well. Yay another way to waste time at the office! Oh, wait, whoops, I'm the boss...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home