taking the passive out of passive-aggressive

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

I just finished listening to our distinguished Lt. Governor, Mr. Michael Steele, aka Uncle Tom. His best quote of the night was "It no longer matters whether you can get a seat at the lunch counter... what matters is, can you own the lunch counter?"

No, actually, what matters is, can you afford lunch?

I don't know why I'm listening to the Republican National Convention except that I suspect my children's future is being slowly shut down by these people, and I want to know who they are and what they have to say for themselves. And even though the media has told me that the Republicans are going to highlight their most moderate speakers, all I hear is the erosion of my babies' rights one by one, slowly and surely. My daughters' right to marry whom they choose and have as many children as they can afford. Their right not to wear a burkha, for heaven's sake. This is surely the most radically conservative and rabidly religious group outside the Taliban, and I am sorely tired of hearing their potential victims (minorities and women) sing their praises.

I'm reading "Under The Banner of Heaven" right now, the Jon Krakauer book about fundamentalist Mormonism, and what's horrible is I don't see a lot of difference between the cultish, murderous polygamists he describes and our own government. (For this statement alone, I will probably be put on some Ashcroftian list.) I am truly frightened by the state of our country right now and I don't understand why more people aren't standing up and fighting. Is it that Orwellian tenet--that there are no better slaves than those who love their servitude?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home