taking the passive out of passive-aggressive

Thursday, January 23, 2003

Why is it that no one seems to think I'm nice, but they hang out with me anyway? Maybe nice is an overrated quality. It's kind of bland, to be nice, because you can never state a strongly held opinion. Being nice means agreeing with everyone, or just smiling and nodding.

Anyway, I can't think of anyone who's actually, really, deep-down nice. I meet people who seem nice, and everyone else thinks they're nice, but get a couple drinks in them and the truth comes out--these formerly nice people hate someone down the hall, curse profusely, and mock their spouses. It's entirely possible, I have to admit, that the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is at work here: my very presence, my un-niceness, allows these people to explore un-nice sides of themselves that they're ordinarily keep hidden away. But I don't think so.

Also, niceness seems to be connected to propriety somehow. Like if you have good hair and your pants are pressed and you smile a lot and listen, you're considered nice. You could be the biggest bitch in the world but if you have those four qualities, it doesn't matter.

Of course, the worst part of it all is I can't be mean about nice people. It's just not possible. They actually make me want to be nice. It's quite perplexing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home